Friday, May 7, 2010

On the Road

Last weekend I ended 10 years of passive resistance and got my learners' permit. My partner Nicholai, perhaps tired of working part-time as my chauffeur for the past five years, decided enough was enough: I was going to the DMV.

I had one day - okay, some would argue 10 years - to cram and read the Washington State driving manual. I naively believed this could be accomplished in an evening until I realized the DMV, like institutions of higher education, likes to test to make sure people have read the book, not understand the material. The following morning while taking the knowledge test I was given silly questions like "What percentage of all car accidents involve alcohol?" and other questions akin to "In what year did the Hundred Years' War begin?" - meaning it's about memorizing facts not knowing the context or significance.

I digress!

I am happy to say I passed. Not with flying colors, mind you, but I passed and apparently a B average is good enough for a learner's permit. Hoorah America!

Since last weekend I have taken three driving lessons. The first day was in the parking lot on campus with Nicholai, who may have said "Is your foot on the brake? Put your foot on the brake" about 100 times too many but was a very good and patient teacher. On Wednesday I drove about 3 miles on residential roads. Despite tensing up anytime a car, person or cat comes anywhere near the car, I think I did a pretty good job.

My goal is to have my license by July 23. Watch out, world!

1 comment:

jimmy jimmy said...

britt i love you so much.

i am just dying to see you as soon as possible.