Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Second Century Project

This year I turned 25 - a quarter-century.

There is nothing within itself alarming about turning 25. In fact, I think I am going to hit my stride in my mid-20s. And I certainly I have little want to remain in my early 20s, as good and awkward as those years were. While certainly not entirely easy, I have few regrets for how I spent my first 25 years - going to college, falling in love, traveling, and getting my Masters. 

On the eve of my birthday, however, I did take pause to think about what I would like to accomplish in the next 25. I entitled this list The Second Century Project (yes, a misnomer but I like the way it sounds and 25 years will feel like 100 anyways). I generated a list of about 30 meaningful goals, both large and small. A sampling of these goals include:
  • Be a self-sufficient adult (e.g. learn to manage my finances, understand my insurance)
  • Learn to kayak
  • Earn a Ph.D
  • Backpack around Chile
  • Live in The Netherlands for a year
  • Learn Dutch
  • Get my driver's license
  • Learn to become a good friend
  • ... And others! 
    At the core of these goals is a desire to live an adventurous, full and beautiful life. Perhaps it was the long winter, but I of late have felt slightly directionless and well, bored. It is my hope this list and project motivate me and give me something to focus on.

    This blog is meant to simply allow me a place to reflect on and share my progress and, if I may request it, generate support. Recently I have started to read the blogs of some friends and I would like to be able to share part of my life, too, with those I don't get to see in my everyday life. I think it will be nice to have a place to vent as I experience the inevitable quarterlife, post-graduate school life crisis, every young American's rite of passage.

    Cheers,
    BQ

    No comments: